FOUR PAWS ALERT: 5 November is Guy Fawkes
Saturday, 5 November is Guy Fawkes
Think fireworks, crackers and loud noises. For animals this means one of the most stressful days of the year. We need to do everything we can to assist our furry friends in this time. Dogs tend to be the most affected by Guy Fawkes celebrations, but please do keep an eye on your cats, other pets, and any wild animals in your area too. Take care that pets do not run away or hurt themselves when traumatized by the noise of fireworks.
Here is how you can assist your four pawed friends during this coming Guy Fawkes:
- Make sure your dog is wearing a collar with your name and phone number on.
- Stay home with your dog/pets if you can, especially if you live in an area where you know fireworks will be set off, or if you know your dog is very sensitive to noise.
- If you have to leave your dogs alone at home, keep them indoors and have the TV or radio on to muffle the loud noises of fireworks.
- When staying at home with your animals, don't become jumpy or spooked at the sound of fireworks - pretend you don't notice the noises. This will make things easier on your dog.
- Treat your pets to their favorite foods, lots of cuddles and love; and maybe even a new toy to keep them distracted. Chew toys for dogs, catnip for cats.
- If you're dog has extreme reactions and is easily stressed, ask your vet about some of the many calming products on the market.
- If you have a puppy, you're in luck, as you have a chance to teach the pup not to be overly panicky around loud noises. Play with your puppy during the fireworks - and reward your dog with treats and/or toys so they associate the potentially scary noise with something they love.
Here are a few informative links and important information you should know, and keep handy, during Guy Fawkes:
- Safe sites to discharge and enjoy fireworks on Guy Fawkes Day 2016 in Cape Town: http://www.capetownmagazine.com/guy-fawkes
- Safe sites to discharge and enjoy fireworks on Guy Fawkes Day 2016 in Johannesburg: http://sandtonchronicle.co.za/78415/fireworks-and-the-law-what-you-need-to-know
- Contact numbers and emergency numbers for all SPCA's in South Africa: http://nspca.co.za/spcas-in-sa/
- Information on fireworks and animals: http://nspca.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/fireworks-Leaftlet.pdf
- Information on fireworks and the by-laws: http://code4sa.org/2015/10/30/fireworks.html